Rock-paper-scissors is a great way to alleviate boredom or make decisions, such as figuring out who gets to go first in the next game you play.
Step 1: Make a fist
Both players make a fist with one hand.
Step 2: Tap fists
While counting to three, or saying "Rock! Paper! Scissors!" both players raise their fist and swing it down on the count. The third time, each changes their fist into a gesture.
Step 3: Form a shape
Choose your gesture. Keep your hand in a fist for a rock; to represent paper, flatten your hand, with fingers together and palm down; extend and separate your index and middle fingers to form a pair of scissors.
Additional weapons, such as dynamite, fire, water, Spock, and lizard are occasionally used, though rarely in officially sanctioned competitions.
Step 4: Determine the winner
Determine the winner for that round: paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, scissors beat paper.
As well as being a great time-suck, rock-paper-scissors can act as a tiebreaker, or in lieu of drawing straws or throwing dice.
Step 5: Repeat as necessary
Play as many rounds of rock-paper-scissors as necessary.
Fact: In 2006, a federal judge in Florida ordered two opposing attorneys to settle a scheduling dispute with a game of rock-paper-scissors.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades