An alternative to trick-or-treating every Halloween is to have kids participate in a scavenger hunt. The activity provides the same excitement and still allows you to be with your kids while they participate. A scavenger hunt can be easily organized – here are some steps in preparing for a Halloween scavenger hunt:
Step 1 Look for a Location
Prepare a venue for your scavenger hunt. You can have it in your community park for a wider space or school grounds for a more secure area. You can also ask several neighbors if they're willing to lend their lawns for your activity.
Step 2 Set the Mechanics
You can choose to have teams or pairs for participating children. This will help kids meet new friends and socialize with their age group. You can also set a number of scavenged items that they can trade in for prizes, or a time limit for them to find a number of items.
Step 3 Set a Theme
Choose a theme for your scavenger hunt. You can use pirates-looking-for-gold (chocolates) or zombies-looking-for-brains (gummies) kind of themes. Take note that a scavenger hunt works the same way as an Easter egg hunt.
Step 4 Provide Location Clues
You can make the game more interactive by providing a story line or a mini-game where the kids should answer a riddle or question before they can reach a new location. This will make the activity more challenging and engaging for the children.
Step 5 Give Out Unique Prizes
You may have a trophy for the kids who got the highest number of items. Set prizes for 2nd and 3rd placers to give them credit for their work and effort. Make it formal and give the placers a certificate of their accomplishment.
- Have other adults guide the kids as they engage in the hunt.
- Have ushers in costume in key locations so the children can ask for directions or clues.
- You can schedule the scavenger hunt earlier during the day when the weather is warmer.
- Use stickers or labels for the kid's buckets or bags to distinguish them from other teams.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades